There are a number of serious medical issues from which someone may suffer. One of the most common is called lumbago. In reality, this is just another name for low back pain. Sadly, there are millions of people who suffer from low back pain on a regular basis. One of the most common issues with low back pain is that there are numerous causes and each one has a slightly different treatment approach. The good news is that chiropractic care is able to provide assistance with just about every cause of low back pain. Learn more about some of the treatment options of lumbago below!
What Causes Lumbago?
Low back pain, also known as lumbago, is one of the most common reasons why people seek the help of a trained medical professional. Some of the most common causes of lumbago include:
- Paraspinal Muscle Tenderness: One of the most common causes of low back pain is paraspinal muscle tenderness. The paraspinal muscles are responsible for providing support to the spinal column. Individuals who develop poor posture, participate in athletic activities, or do not sleep well at night may develop something called paraspinal muscle tenderness. This pain usually shows up on the sides of the spinal column.
- Sciatica: Sciatica is another common cause of low back pain. Irritation of the sciatic nerve can cause pain, weakness, numbness, and tingling that travels from the back to the legs. This may even cause people to have trouble standing, walking, and taking the stairs.
- A Herniated Disc: Finally, a herniated disc is another common cause of lumbago. This herniated disc usually occurs between L3 and L4 or L4 and L5. A herniated disc usually causes shooting pains to run from the back into one of the legs.
These are just a few of the most common causes of lower back pain. A chiropractor can help with all of these causes of lumbago.
How can Chiropractic Care Help?
When someone suffers from lumbago, they may feel like they need to take a bunch of prescription medications or undergo a surgical procedure. Fortunately, this is not always the case.
In a lot of situations, a chiropractor can improve the alignment of the bones in the back, the muscles, the ligaments, and the tendons. This can address a lot of the causes of lower back pain, including those above. Some of the treatment options include:
- A chiropractor is first going to perform a consultation, exam and, if warranted, take a few X-rays of the lumbar spine.
- Then, the chiropractor can perform a series of adjustments, which involve controlled thrusts that are designed to properly align the bones, ligaments, and tendons in the back
- In some situations, lumbago may stem from the compression of nerves in the back, which can be corrected with spinal decompression therapy
Finally, a chiropractor will also want to make sure that the symptoms of lumbago do not return in the future. That is why physical therapy and corrective exercises are often used as part of the treatment plan. Rely on the help of a trained chiropractor to address lumbago.
Address Lower Back Pain with the Help of a Trained Chiropractor
In the end, lumbago was just another term for lower back pain; however, lumbago remains one of the most common causes of disability in the United States. Therefore, it is critical for everyone to develop a treatment plan that will not only treat the symptoms on the surface but also prevent the condition from returning in the future. That is where a chiropractor can excel. So if you or a loved one is suffering from lumbago, gives us a call. We’re here to help!